Shawmut, derived from the Phrase "Place of the clear water", is used to describe the region formerly called Shawmut Peninsula Massachusetts, which in the 19th century was reclaimed by Boston City
and now is officially the area where Boston, Massachusetts is situated. The area is located in the South End neighborhood, at the extreme west of the city and shares boundaries with some of Boston's renowned high schools such as the New Bedford High School and Keith Junior High School. The Village is also bounded northwestward by the Back Bay neighborhood and, to the north, Bay Village and the Leather District. Shawmut, Massachusetts, the little Village officially changed to Boston on September 16. Following stops in Salem and Charlestown, a cohort of colonizers led by John Winthrop liked “the clear waters' and relocated to the area. The settlers named the place "Boston" in 1630 after many of them had been born in an old town. Saint Botolph, the spiritual leader of the travelers, also inspired the name.